1. “I totally get it; I get headaches, too.”
Heads up: A headache is to a migraine as stubbing your toe is to getting your foot run over by a Zamboni.
2. “Couldn’t you just work if you stayed home?”
Things we can’t do when we have a migraine: Get out of the fetal position, see through the spots and flashes in our vision, stop throwing up. So, yeah, working would be on the list, too.
3. “Have you tried…”
Yup, we probably have. So, unless you just invented a new migraine treatment, support is preferable to advice.
4. “It’s probably stress-related.”
Yup, changes in stress levels can trigger migraines. And most people struggle with stress management. So, let us know when you cure it.
5. “Next time you get one, let me know; I give amazing head rubs.”
When we have a migraine the only thing we want more than for it to go away is for no one to touch us, especially on our heads.
6. “I know someone whose migraines turned out to be a brain tumor.”
Chances are we’ve been to a doctor to get it checked out, but if you’re actually concerned that we haven’t, maybe rephrase your concern in a less…terrifying way.
7. “You probably just need to take better care of yourself.”
Even when you work hard to manage your triggers, you can still get migraines.
8. “Just lie and say you have a migraine!”
Use the thing that legit disables us from work and life to get out of work or life? Absolutely not.
9. “You should watch a movie or listen to some music to take your mind off the pain.”
When we have a migraine literally the only thing that doesn’t hurt our eyes and ears is darkness and silence.
10. “You’ll feel better if you get something in your stomach.”
There’s nothing we’d like more than to be able to keep something down after all this throwing up.
11. “You have a headache again?”
That’s the thing about migraines; they keep coming back. Trust us, we’re more upset about that than you are.
12. “Why are you wearing sunglasses indoors?”
Because they’re the only thing shielding my eyeballs from the light that is trying to stab them.
13. “It’s your hormones, isn’t it?”
Are you really asking us about our hormones rn?
14. “You don’t look sick.”
We didn’t realize you could see what’s happening inside our brains.
15. “You should change your diet to…”
Foods don’t trigger migraines for everyone but trust us, if we have a specific dietary trigger, we already know.
16. “You just need to think positive.”
As soon as this throbbing pain subsides we’ll get super happy.
But enough about what you shouldn’t say.