Avocados are one of our favorite foods! Not only do they taste amazing but they are loaded with all kinds of incredible vitamins and minerals that can help you feel full longer while staying healthy.
The only down side to avocados is they eventually go bad. If you want to buy in bulk and still have your avocados fresh when you are ready to eat them then you have got to try this awesome trick to keep them fresh for up to 6 months!
Health Benefits to Avocados
Before we dive into this awesome money saving trick I wanted to quickly go over some of the awesome reasons why we want to keep our avocados fresh for as long as possible. They are loaded with almost 20 minerals and vitamins that our body needs to stay healthy.
This includes potassium which is important for our nerve function and blood pressure. Avocados also contain folate which is extremely important in cell repair (especially during pregnancy) and lutein to help keep your eyes healthy.
B vitamins are really important for fighting off infections and disease, luckily your avocado is loaded with them! You will also get a good serving of vitamin E, C and other incredible ingredients to assist in preventing cancer. 
If you are trying to maintain a good weight or back off excessive eating then avocados may be a great choice for you. They are both low in sugar and contain fiber which helps you to feel full longer. This can help you get through that snacky part of the day.
We love to keep our avocados around! They are great for smoothies, breakfast, sandwiches, on our dinner or even on a salad. I could eat them every day and never get sick of them.
Unfortunately though there is the battle of finding ripe avocados and then keeping them fresh until you are ready to use them. Some people suggest that if you have a cut avocado half then storing it in a shallow pool of water is a great way to keep it green longer. The only downside to this is that it only will last a few days.
If you want to keep your avocado fresh longer your best bet is to put it in the freezer. This may seem simple but how often do we think about freezing our avocados? I know I hadn’t thought of it before. Just image all the money you would have saved if you had put them in the freezer instead of letting them go bad in your fridge.
How to Store Avocados
In order to get the best results you can either purée or cut up your avocado before you store it.
- Wash your avocado, with the skin still on it.
- Cut it in half, and then peel off the skin.
- If you don’t want to purée the avocado then cut it in half and wrap each half separately in plastic wrap, or foil and then put them in a freezer bag. Make sure you date them so that you know when you put them in.
- If you want to purée your avocado then mash it into a food processor with a bit of lemon or lime juice or you can use a bit of white vinegar. Then you can store the purée in a freezer bag and put it in the freezer.
- The avocado should be good for up to 5-6 months. Once you are ready to use the avocado you can gentle thaw it by placing it in the fridge about 12-24 hours before you need it. You can also quickly thaw it by putting it on your counter for a couple of hours or even put it in a bowl of warm water if you are in a hurry.
Just remember an avocado that has been frozen loses some of its firmness. When you free the water crystals inside of fruit, and then thaw it out, there are going to be some changes to the texture and consistency.
It will still be great for smoothies, guacamole dips, spreads, dressings and even ice pops.
This little trick is great but loading up on fresh organic locally grown avocados when they are in season and then saving money all year long!